Marine Atlas: Maximizing Benefits for Vanuatu
PLASTIC OCEAN: MICROPLASTICS CONCENTRATION Like the rest of the world’s oceans, Vanuatu’s waters are overflowing with plastic. Only 5 per cent of plastics are recycled effectively and forecasts expect that by 2050 there will be more plastic than fish in the world’s ocean.
MICROPLASTICS CONCENTRATION grams / km 2
0 - 50 50 - 250 250 - 500 500 - 1,000
1,000 - 2,500 2,500 - 5,000 5,000 - 10,000 10,000 - 20,000
North Paci c Gyre
Exclusive Economic Zones (EEZ)
Copyright © MACBIO Map produced by GRID-Arendal Sources : Becker et al, 2009; Claus et al, 2016; Van Sebille et al, 2015; Smith and Sandwell, 1997.
South Paci c Gyre
its journey on the coasts never reaches garbage patches. It also breaks down into microplastic and disperses through the ocean, before finally sinking into the depths. In fact, the plastic concentration on the ocean floor is 1,000 times greater than on the surface. In light of this, Vanuatu’s comparably low concentration of microplastic at the ocean sur- face (see the map) is not necessarily good news. The microplastic is trapped on the ocean floor, embedded in the sediment. It is gradually forming a new geological layer, the “plastic horizon”, which researchers of the future will attribute to our era. The sad truth is that we use the deep sea as a gigantic dustbin and benefit from the fact that the majority of the waste seemingly disappears forev- er, rather than washing up at our feet again. While the portion of microplastic that remains afloat may seem small, it is the cause of a large problem with far-reaching effects. It is no wonder that fish mistake microplastic for plankton and eat it, since there is six times as much plastic as plankton in some parts of the ocean. Very small pieces of plastic can penetrate the fish’s intesti- nal walls and become trapped in the surrounding tissue. The microplastic then enters the food chain and eventually winds up on our plates and in our own stomachs. The consequences of consum-
The world produces 300 million tons of plastic each year. About 2 per cent of it—around 8 million metric tons—ends up in the ocean. It is a stag- gering amount, yet only 1 per cent of this plastic is actually found on the surface of the ocean. Half Walk the talk “I’m a fisherman from Vanuatu, but these days I caught more plastics than fish when fishing” says John Managawi, a Ni-Vanu- atu fishermen who supports the Vanuatu government’s move towards banning plas- tic in the country. And the government is walking the talk: Vanuatu is the first nation in the world to have legally banned the use of plastic straws in legislation passed on 1 July 2018 that also saw the end of single-use plastic bags and polystyrene takeaway boxes. The First Lady of Vanu- atu, Estella Moses Tallis, welcomed this ban: “The Mamas of Vanuatu can bring to the frontline the use of traditional baskets which are part of our culture. The more we use them, the more we encourage our cultural art of weaving, in turn strengthen- ing the cultural heritage of Vanuatu.”
of this 1 per cent becomes caught in large gyres (see map); the other half is more widely dispersed. The other 99 per cent (7.92 million metric tons) of plastics in the ocean worldwide are unaccounted for each year. Science has only just begun to unravel the riddle of where this unaccounted-for plastic ends up. At the turn of the millennium, scientists uncovered a previously unknown phenomenon: microplastic. Eighty per cent of plastic waste enters the ocean via rivers and the other 20 per cent is tossed over- board from ships (see graphic). A portion of the plastic waste is carried great distances by ocean currents and gathers in large trash vortices such as the Great Pacific Garbage Patch in the North Pacific Gyre. On this journey, which can take up to 10 years, large pieces of plastic are progressively eroded, broken down by sunlight and eaten by bacteria, fragmenting into many smaller pieces. The result is microplastic—plastic particles that are smaller than 5 millimetres. Thus the Great Pacific Garbage Patch is not the massive islands of trash that one might first im- agine. Large bits of plastic are relatively rare, and one could actually swim through a gyre without noticing the microplastic that composes it. The remaining 99 per cent of the waste that begins
THREATS MAXIMIZING BENEFITS FOR VANUATU
Made with FlippingBook Publishing Software